Frisky Dingo: Season Two


***1/2 - In my review for season one of “Frisky Dingo” I indicated that one of my main reasons for disappointment was the fact that the show rather quickly strayed from its apparent original concept of delving comically into the minutiae of superhero and supervillain management and administration. Having now watched the second and final season of the Cartoon Network series, and realizing that it goes much farther afield than the first, I may have to rethink my reasons for my preference of season two over season one. And in looking back, I suppose the concept dropping may not have been such a big reason that I like season two much more than season one. It is probably more accurate to say that it is a combination of the improved consistency of the writing, better peripheral characters, and a bit less concentration on the Awesome X/Xander Crews character. After botching his attempt to propel the Earth into the sun – a maneuver that actually ended up moving the Earth slightly away from the sun thereby stopping global warming – Killface wins the Democratic Party’s nomination for President. Meanwhile, Awesome X finds himself living in a cardboard box until he decides to use the $20 billion check made out to ‘cash’ that he found in order to buy the Republican nomination and run against Killface. By the end of the season (which also turned out to be the end of the show) all the president stuff had fallen by the wayside and things like mutant ant-babies take over. What made this season better than the first was a combination of better, more focused writing and funnier characters, such as screechy-voiced security guard Wendell, who is one of the better animated characters I’ve come across in some time.

No comments:

Post a Comment